Whether you're new to a product type or new to packaging in general, the terminology can be a little technical and seem overwhelming. Given that the amount of terminology only continues to increase with new technologies and industry updates, we decided to create a series of "cheat sheets" that include a few of the most relevant and essential terms for a particular product type.
Here's our list of essential terms for pouches:
- Doyen Gusset: This is the most common style of stand-up pouch, and the front, gusset, and back are continuous. The Doyen Style Gusset pouch has seals on both sides and around the bottom gusset and is a great choice for products that weigh one pound or less.
- Plough Gusset: The front, gusset, and back are continuous, so there is no seal at the gusset. A Plough-Bottom stand up pouch can hold more weight than the Doyen pouch and the K Skirt Style pouch and is commonly used for products weighing more than one pound. This style of pouch is a great choice for granular products, like salt or sugar, that weigh five pounds and up. A Plough Style Gusset pouch can also be referred to as Plough-Bottom pouch, Corner Seal stand up pouch, and W Fold style pouch.
- Laser Scoring: By running the lasers with 0.01mm spacing between pulses, the result is what looks like a solid line. However, this scores a line on one of the several material substrates, which creates a straight tear when pulled open. The laser scoring creates easy-open packaging while maintaining barrier properties.
- Double Cut: Some pouching equipment (including ours!) has the ability to trim off the edges of a converted pouch in order to give the appearance that art is printed perfectly rights to the edge - no plate gaps and any movement on the pouching equipment is masked.
- Powder Proof Zipper: A zipper developed to prevent powdery and particulate products that get caught and clogged in the flexible package seal and allow a secure reseal.
- Child-Resistant Zipper: A zipper that provides resistance for children, but easy access for the intended consumer. This zipper is designed to keep children safe from harmful products. Currently used with Cannabis packaging applications.
Interested in creating a pouch, or just have a question? Contact us here or request a quote online and one of our experts will be happy to help you out!